Friday, January 7, 2011

Home Alone

No, this is not a movie review. This is actually going to be about the actual position of being home alone rather than a silly movie about it.

As I sit here writing his post, a dance is going on in the Wilkinson Student Center. It'a big to-do, and all of my roommates have gone over to it. Those of you who are at all familiar with me will know that I do not like dances. I have only truly enjoyed myself at one dance. Accordingly, I declined all invitations extended to me for this dance. It follows, then, that I am home alone. I've found myself in this position all to infrequently since I've been at college. I love my roommates, but it seems to be party time in Broadbent 23 almost 24/7. At times, I'm OK with this; sometimes, I even enjoy it. A lot of the time, however, it bothers me. I, if you couldn't figure it out, am an introvert. As such, interactions with multiple people at once can be stressing to me. In order for me to be content with my situation, I have to have a significant portion of time where I can be by myself. I wish people would understand this better. Sometimes people who are alone actually prefer it that way. It seems our society is too focused on including everybody that we forget that sometimes some people need to take a step out and be alone for a bit. The idea of going and sitting by somebody that looks lonely may not actually be an act of service. Being alone gives us introverts a chance to rest and recharge. Some of my happiest times come when I am by myself. For example, every Monday morning I go to the temple at 5:30 (Dania got me started on it, and I just can't stop).  At first, I made the relatively short walk by myself. Now, there is always at least one person accompanying me. I don't begrudge them the opportunity to go to the temple; I'm glad they're coming, but at the same time that used to be some of my highest quality alone time. Sometimes I wish they would just sleep in 5 or 10 minutes so I could go by myself.

The next time you have the opportunity to spend some time at home alone, try it. You may surprised with how relaxing it is. You may also freak out and need something to do. Different personalities respond differently to being alone. As for me, I sit by myself, doing almost nothing besides thinking (and listening to the music I enjoy). So next time you see me sitting by myself seemingly doing nothing, don't worry. Most of the time, that's all I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment