Saturday, October 9, 2010

BYU Football

OK, I'll admit it: I have been slacking off on this lately. However, it's really hard to write a blog post when nothing goes on in your life and you have nothing to complain about. Luckily, I had an epiphany just now, and I have decided to do a basic rundown/evaluation of BYU football every week (or at least the home games). Sports are a big part of my life, so I might as well include them in my blog.

This week, BYU played host to MWC-foe San Diego State. After last week's humiliating lost at Utah State, I did not come into the game expecting anything good. I expected another result similar to the last four. I was proven wrong. For the first time in a long time, BYU's defense came out on fire, getting a three-and-out on SDSU's first possession. Jake Heaps then methodically led the offense down the field, and, after a stunning fake punt, BYU started off the scoring for the first time since Air Force. SDSU got the ball, and on their first play threw a pick to Brandon Ogletree. Suddenly, I was feeling a lot better about BYU's chances in the game. Heaps managed to get the offense in for the touchdown, and BYU went up 14-0. The rest of the first half was less eventful, and BYU went into the locker room up 14-7.

At this point, the BYU Marching Band put on a show, which I'm sure was excellent, but as I was sitting in the north bleachers, I couldn't really hear.

In the second half, SDSU did a good job of playing catch up. They held BYU to a field goal, and responded with a touchdown of their own. At 17-14, the game was looking up-for-grabs for the first time. Luckily, BYU got some big returns from J.J. DiLuigi and was able to score again, giving BYU breathing room at 24-14. SDSU would score again, but at that point it was just a matter of running the clock out for BYU, which they were able to do effectively.

Some thoughts on the game: Heaps is starting to look more comfortable and is making much better throws. I think part of it has to do with switching in Marshall and running a wildcat play every now and then. It gives Heaps a chance to sit down and cool off, as well as getting the spotlight off his back for a few much-needed minutes. The defense seems to have returned from the limbo they were in. Bronco seems to have lit the fire underneath them again. I judge that by the way Brian Logan reacts. He is a very spirited player, and the defense feeds off him. It showed tonight as they performed much better, especially against the run, then they have in recent weeks. DiLuigi may be the star running back, but Kariya is a workhorse who gives the Cougars some much needed power in the backfield, allowing them to have a consistent running game. Josh Quezada also looked impressive tonight, making me reconsider my opinion of him as overrated. Overall, a much better perfomance on BYU's part than I had come to expect this season. Go Cougars!

No comments:

Post a Comment